Step 1: Mix it All Up and Fermentation
• Grab a glass or plastic container. Do not use metal as it can react poorly to the ferment.
• Put 2 cups whole wheat flour into container
• Add dehydrated kale powder, dehydrated kelp powder or any other goodies you want to sneak in.
• Add 1/2 cup palm shortening, butter or melted coconut oil
• With your hand or a mixer, mix the shortening into the flour mix until it is crumbly.
• Add 1 cup of raw milk and mix in and cover loosely.
• Let it sit 12 hours or overnight.
• Allowing the dough to sit overnight allows it to ferment. Fermenting the dough breaks down the complex carbohydrates and proteins, making it more digestible. Fermentation also breaks down the phytic acid, thereby making the nutrients more absorbable by the body.
Step: 2 Roll Out The Dough
• Prepare your cookie sheets by putting about 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour right in the center.
• Take half of the dough and roll it into a nice ball in your hands.
• Press the dough ball into the pile of flour.
• Flip dough over. Now both sides will be nicely floured.
• Roll out the dough until nice and thin. The dough should be “floating” on the cookie sheet. It should not be sticking to the cookie sheet or to your rolling pin. Add more flour as necessary. Now is when you sprinkle it with salt, cheese, seasonings and whatever else you want. Once seasoned, gently give it one more roll with the rolling pin to press the seasonings into the dough.
• Take your pizza cutter and cut up the dough.
• Bake the crackers for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Check the crackers and remove any that are ready. Return the rest to the oven for another 3 minutes. Repeat this 3 minute checking routine until they are all done.
Doctor of Oriental Medicine
Doctor of Naturopathy